Myopia20 November 2023
Applying Contact Lenses20 November 2023
The application of contact lenses for keratoconus is more complex than the application of contact lenses for myopia.
The best vision for patients with keratoconus is achieved with keratoconus rigid gas permeable contact lenses and not with soft astigmatic or even soft keratoconus contact lenses.
For perfect fit keratoconus rigid gas permeable contact lenses require:
- determination of corneal curvature (keratometry)
- measurement of corneal diameter
- pupil measurement
- qualitative and quantitative detection of teardrop
The accuracy of measurements and examinations is essential for the evaluation and restoration of keratoconus.
The selection of the appropriate keratoconus contact lens includes:
- the curvature and diameter of the contact lens
- the refractive index of contact lens material
- the thickness of the contact lens
- the visual zone of the contact lens
- the central visual zone of the contact lens aligned with the center of the cornea for optimal visual acuity and contact lens mobility.